From York Hackspace
Discord is available in browser, or can be downloaded as a desktop application. It's also available as a mobile app. See their website.
How to Join Discord
- Follow the invite link
- Set your username, if you don't already have an account
- Set up your email address and password to claim your account
- You can view the discord without claiming it, but you can only post once you've verified your email address. This helps to reduce spam.
- Your discord account can be used across multiple discord servers.
- You can set a nickname on any discord server. Users will still be able to see your username.
- If you're a member, tag a @Moderator or @Trustee to set your membership status so you get access to the member-only rooms.
- Install it!
- There are channels for all sorts of things - if there's an appropriate one, try to use it.
- You can mute channels you're not interested in.
- Keep an eye out for pinned messages, especially if it's your first time in a channel.
- If you want to, you can set your nickname on a particular server (users will still be able to see your account name). This makes most sense if you're in multiple discords.
- Right-click on the icon in the server list
- Select "Change Nickname" - for example, I use my Twitch username in streamer discords.
- Have a lot of fun :)