Discord is available in browser, or can be downloaded as a desktop application. It's also available as a mobile app. See their website (https://discord.com).
There is also the UK Hackspace discord, which is not managed by York Hackspace, but you are welcome to join and talk to other hackspace folks. More info here. If you want to register yourself as a member of York hackspace in their discord, you will need the York Hackspace role code "I0P4M". The UK Hackspace discord can be joined with this link.
How to Join Discord
- Follow the invite link (https://york.hackspace.org.uk/discord)
- Set your username, if you don't already have an account
- Set up your email address and password to claim your account
- You can view the discord without claiming it, but you can only post once you've verified your email address. This helps to reduce spam.
- Your discord account can be used across multiple discord servers.
- You can set a nickname on any discord server. Users will still be able to see your username.
- If you're a member, tag a @Moderator or @Trustee to set your membership status so you get access to the member-only rooms.
- Install it!
- There are channels for all sorts of things - if there's an appropriate one, try to use it.
- You can mute channels you're not interested in.
- Keep an eye out for pinned messages, especially if it's your first time in a channel.
- If you want to, you can set your nickname on a particular server (users will still be able to see your account name). This makes most sense if you're in multiple discords.
- Right-click on the icon in the server list
- Select "Change Nickname" - for example, I use my Twitch username in streamer discords.
- Have a lot of fun :)